Pet Owner Resources
Helpful Links for Our Clients
The Pet Vet on Patton provides these pet resources for information only. We are not affiliated with nor do we specifically recommend these organizations or websites. Always call us with questions.
- Asheville Humane Society – Under contract with Buncombe County and the City of Asheville, Asheville Humane Society’s animal care professionals operate the Buncombe County Animal Shelter, the safety net for any lost, abandoned, or relinquished companion animal in Buncombe County. After 72 hours or less in the county shelter, all other costs of housing, evaluating, treating, rehabilitating, feeding, fostering, publicizing, and preparing an animal for adoption are paid by Asheville Humane Society with privately raised funds.
- Brother Wolf – Brother Wolf Animal Rescue is known for their excellence in matching people with the best dog or cat that would suit their lifestyle.
They are wonderful dogs, cats, kittens and puppies who have ended up homeless through no fault of their own.
- Blue Ridge Humane Society – The Blue Ridge Humane Society, established in 1950 is a limited admission nonprofit 501(c)3 animal welfare organization committed to quality shelter care, treatment of our charges, and to advocacy for spay/neutering throughout Henderson County.
- Pet Insurance Review – All pet insurance is not the same. Some insurance plans cover accidents to your pet, but not illnesses. Some plans cover treatment for cancer, some don’t. It can be confusing, so you will need to do some research
Pet Health, Behavior & Info Sites
- Animal Poison Control Center – For any animal poison-related emergency or if worried your pet ate something toxic.
- Pet Health Network – Find a breadth of health answers about your pet.
- HomeAgain & AKC Reunite Microchips & PetLink – Register & update your pet’s microchip information.
- Pet Health Insurance Buyer's Guide - ASPCA's pet insurance buying guide.
- APHIS Pet Travel – USDA's information on domestic and international pet travel.
- Pets & Parasites – Recommendations for diagnosis, treatment and prevention of pet parasite infections.
- Heartworm Society – Learn more about deadly heartworms and what you can do to protect your pet.
- CDC Rabies Information - Everything you need to know about the rabies virus.
- CDC Zoonotic Diseases - Learn about the risks of diseases people get from animals.
- Rainbow Bridge – A grief support community for those who are hurting from the death of a beloved pet.
- American Kennel Club
- Dog Owner's Guide – A nice starter guide of things to consider when thinking about getting a puppy.
- International Cat Care - Resources, support and advice that help you better care for your cats.
- The ASPCA – Exists to promote humane principles, prevent cruelty and alleviate fear, pain, and suffering in animals.
- Humane Society of the United States – Promotes the protection and adoption of all animals.
- Southern Veterinary Partners